Living actively is something you heard about for sure. The importance of exercising is not something new nor something you can ignore in terms of all the information out there. Still, are you fully aware of why living actively is so important and how you can reach your own level of healthy exercising?
In the infographic below I have summed up the benefits of living actively. I will detail them in the following paragraphs, ending this article with a few lines on how you can include exercising in your life in order to achieve this healthy state.
Benefits of living actively
There are many benefits that derive from living an active life, and below you can find a brief explanation on why this is so, to complete a bit the infographic:
- Exercising improves brain functioning. Basically, by exercising, you increase your blood flow through your brain. That means it will function faster in terms of decision-making, planning, memory and attention span, to name a few of the functions improved;
- Living actively boosts your energy level: by increasing the blood flow, oxygen and nutrients reach your body faster, improving your energy level as well;
- Exercising reduces the risk of diseases, as it helps the body produce the good cholesterol and reduce the level of triglycerides. Therefore, the body is better equipped to fight life threatening conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and arthritis;
- Living an active life improves your mood as well: your body produces more of one of the so called “happiness” hormones – serotonin. More serotonin means an overall mood boost;
- Last but not the least, exercising helps you control your body weight. An important component of the body fat is oxygen – and exercising helps you use more of it, therefore contributing to weight loss and keeping it under a healthy level.
How to achieve these benefits
By exercising enough, you will get all these benefits and even more, depending on what kind of exercising you are choosing. If you practice a team game, you might make some new friends and overall boost your confidence level. Everything sounds good so far, but how will you manage to actually exercise enough every day so that you achieve these benefits?
First thing you need to know is that it’s not going to be easy if you want to have it all at once. But if you start slowly and progress constantly, you will get there in no time, and it won’t seem too difficult.
Start by asking yourself what kind of sport you like the most. Is it running, biking, handball, football, tennis, swimming or dancing? What is what you love doing? Or maybe you have a dog – walking it daily in a rigorous pace or even running with it can be a good start for your daily practice.
Yes – you read it well, I said daily practice. You need to be living actively every day. 20 to 30 min everyday are needed in order to achieve an active way of living. These 30 min can be walking your dog, walking rigorously to your job, but make sure at least 3 times a week you get to practice something more challenging. As I mentioned, start slowly and increase the difficulty level gradually.
If you choose running, start by running 1 – 2 km in a slow pace, then increase weekly both the km run and the pace. Always start and end the running session with warming up, stretching and some muscle building exercising.
Living actively has multiple benefits over you mind and body. It is a central part to living a balanced lifestyle and overcome the anxiety or depression episodes we might go through during our life. If you want to find out more about improving all the aspects of your life in order to be happy again, take a look at the recent created course on overcoming or preventing anxiety and depression to have a balanced life.